Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Chapter 55.1-Meet the Parents

Author's Note-I have opted to include Caleb and Hope's wedding in with "A Race Against Time" rather than the bachelor challenge as Caleb is no longer an eligible bachelor and there will be several references made to the main story in the three wedding updates.


The production company needed the house back that they used for the program, but offered the couple use of a different house until they returned home.  It was the first time a couple who met on The One actually did get engaged and they knew this would bring the ratings up.  Caleb and Hope both felt uneasy about the offer as there must have been strings attached.  The house was large and with all the family heading in they decided to accept the offer anyway.  When Going Solo Productions insisted on televising the wedding, the couple declined as they wanted this to be a private family event.  The producers didn't push the issue as they didn't want to offend their special guest judge for Sunset Valley Idol,  Wolfie Landgraab.


Hope's family was first to arrive.   As she was happy to see all of them, she was fearful of her father's reaction to all this.  Knowing her father, he couldn't have been happy and she was sure her mother had to calm him down several times the past few weeks.  If her father had his way, he would sent all his daughters to live in a convent.  She knew that her father was getting ready to give Caleb the third degree and he wasn't going to go easy on him.  Caleb thought with them both being vamps, he might be able to win her father over, but Hope knew better and warned Caleb before time.  Caleb had no idea what he was in store for.

His future mother-in-law Cora was a lovely woman and they got along just fine.  Hope's sister Erin clearly was watching the show and was more than ready to welcome him into the family.  Her brother Carter, liked the idea of a vampire brother-in-law and the fact that there would be another male member of the family, as all he had were sisters.  Hope had already explained to Caleb that her twin sister Grace was very shy and quiet, it would take time to get to know her.  He planned to be in this family for a very long time, so he had no problem giving her all the time she needed to become comfortable.


That was the easy part but now he met the one family member he knew would be most critical of him, his future father-in-law.  Somehow he knew he had to earn this man's trust as he knew Hope wanted her father to walk her down the aisle with his blessing.


Caleb: Hello Mr Gruber, Hope has told me so much about you and might I say its a pleasure to finally meet you.

Davis: I have been looking forward to this meeting myself, Calvin.  It's nice to see that you do actually own a shirt and you decided to wear it.

Caleb: My name is Caleb and that was just for the show, it really wasn't me that you seen on that screen.


Davis: So tell me Calvin, what kind of a man goes on a television show to meet girls that are obviously younger than he is?

Caleb: It's Caleb Sir and the show was not my idea.  My brother set it up because he was worried about me after the div.....


Davis: DIVORCE!  Is that what you are trying to say, You are already DIVORCED!

Cora shot Davis a look but Davis was having none of it.  As far as Davis was concerned this was a bad situation and it was getting worse by the minute.

Caleb: Yes my first marriage was a mistake and did not work out, but with all due respect that has nothing to do with how I feel about your daughter.

Davis: You cheated on some girl and now you want the chance to do the same to Hope.  I won't allow that.


Cora: Davis calm down and don't jump to conclusions, give Calv  Damn! now you have me saying it. I mean Caleb a chance to explain.


Caleb: My mistake in my first marriage had nothing to do with me cheating on my ex wife unless you count working too many hours.  I learned from my first mistake and  I wouldn't even dream of doing that again.  I love Hope with all my heart and making her happy will be my first and only priority.  I am a Lieutenant on the Aurora Skies police department and I am up for promotion this year.  I will provide a good and stable home for your daughter and I will always treat her with the respect she deserves.  This is a promise I am making to you now and I am asking for your permission as I know we both would like it.  I do plan to marry Hope as long as she will have me with or without your blessing.


Davis was ready to let Caleb have it at that point but Cora gave him a don't you dare glance and a third party who had just arrived spoke out in Caleb's defense.

Wolfie: Davis I remember you from your mother's wedding, you were still a teenager.  I assume you remember me.

Davis: Who could forget Wolfie Landgraab?  What brings you here?


Wolfie: I am here for the wedding.  Caleb here was married to my daughter Valerie and as you see I am attending my former son-in-laws wedding. He also called in a favor to me with your daughter's best interest in mind.  The producers were not happy when the cameras were disabled and they lost the footage to their usual ending.   Caleb thought it was degrading to your daughter, and it was I who interceded in his behalf.

Now you might ask yourself why would I do this for a man, who is divorced from my youngest daughter?   He treated my Valerie as a queen during their marriage, and she was the one who cheated on him twice.  I will always love my daughter but she made the biggest mistake of her life when she let this man go.  I couldn't have picked a better husband for her myself, this man earned my trust.
Now I ask you to give this man a chance to earn your trust as I am quite sure he will.

Cora: Davis, do you have something to say?


Davis:  I give you my blessing, but I'll be watching you Calvin.

Cora: DAVIS!

Davis: I mean Caleb.


Meanwhile across the room, Starr ran into Nick her editor, neither knowing they would be attending the same family event.  They decided to take this time to get better acquainted.


Wolfie:  Caleb I also want you to understand where Davis is coming from as I understand it all too well.  He loves his daughter and he doesn't want to see her hurt, someday you will understand how he feels when you have one of your own.


Caleb: Hold on just one minute, who is that over there and what is he doing talking to Starr?

Davis: Oh that is my brother Nick, he is here for the wedding.

Caleb: I have to go get Dylan, we need to stop this!

Wolfie:  I guess someday came sooner than we all expected.


As the two men laugh at Caleb, Sandi notices her father and goes over to greet him.  As Wolfie introduces her to Davis, she recognizes him as the man who once tried to pick her up at The Toadstool.

Sandi: Oh I remember you!  We met at the Toadstool.


Cora: Davis?

Wolfie: Mind telling me what you were you doing with MY daughter?

To be continued....

Authors Note-I would like to thank Jazen for the use of the whole Gruber family, Davis, Cora, Grace, Erin and Carter.  I would also like to thank her for Hope Gruber (soon to be McIntyre) and Nickolas Slayer who is Davis' brother as both will be playing a big role in A Race Against Time.  If you want to read more about the Gruber family, I highly recommend reading her story as it is awesome.

18 comments:

  1. LMAO!!!! OMG Davis came in swinging (not literally) but he wasn't even open to the idea of any of this. Calvin (LOL) stood his ground so that won him some points and having Wolfie there just pushed it over. I like that Cora got on to him about calling him Calvin. Too funny.

    Welcome to the family Caleb. :D Then how quickly he is in Davis and Wolfie's posistion when he saw Starr and Nick. Just wait til he finds out they work together.

    and uh-oh...Davis you are about to get in trouble. Can't wait to see how he gets out of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Davis had been watching that show for 6 weeks and all that rage at Caleb was building up so as soon as he seen it, it was time to let loose. Caleb who did want Davis' approval was not going to back down at all, but Wolfie came to his defense so we will at least be able to have them civil at the wedding.

      I had to turn the tables on both Caleb and Davis, and Starr and Sandi worked into that perfectly.

      Delete
  2. OMG, loved it! I was laughing so hard at Davis. Calvin LOL!! Too funny. And oh, that twist at the end where Davis tried to pick up Sandi! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Davis was very funny but in a way he acted like he should. He seen his daughter on tv flirting with this man who was flirting with other women and he doesn't know the first thing about him. It helped that Calvin stood up for himself and Wolfie the ex-father-in-law went to bat for him.

      The last part was really me turning the tables on both men so they could see things from the other's point of view.

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh! How do you keep track of all the sub stories and plot lines! So much happening! You are doing a wonderful job of meshing the two GS stories together. Did you and Jazen have to collaborate on this at all? You stayed true to the characters I think.

    I love how Davis kept calling him Calvin and the fact the Starr's new boss was Caleb's brother went right over my head the first time. You guys are so talented :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not easy with all the sub stories and I know sometimes it seems that I am forgetting a part but I try to make everything come full circle while dealing with Story Progression. The Valerie thing really changed things but as I see now it changed things for the better.

      I actually picked up the Calvin thing from jazen. At one time Davis used to call Cora BF Tristan by the wrong name just to annoy her. Yep Nick was always going to be a part of my story even before all of this, wasn't going to introduce him so soon but I figured with the wedding the time was now.

      Delete
  4. ROFL Davis reaction was so funny!! And calling him Calvin instead of Caleb made me laugh so hard.
    Vuneca is right, you're very talented. I also love the way you write all you sub stories and never lose track. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :) I had a lot of fun with this chapter. I brought out everyone's past andI actually picked the wrong name part up for jazen's story, when Cora was engaged Davis called the guy by the wrong name

      Delete
  5. Haha, Davis' reaction was too funny :D As was his wife's, constantly scolding him :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always loved Davis and Cora's relationship as they seem like a real married couple. I was so thankful that Jazen gave me permission to play them for the wedding, it was truly fun.

      Delete
  6. LOL oh Davis, he's so silly. I know all about his overbearing fatherly ways. I am so glad Wolfie told him it was Valerie who cheated on Caleb, not the other way around. LMAO the ending when Sandi noticed Davis was at the bar that night, and Cora... XD Too funny. Now... Davis, you grilling Calv- Caleb doesn't make you sound so tough now does it? XD I get it though... since I read Jazen's story already. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting the name wrong was a Davis thing all the way back with Tristan/Tracy and usually men. Davis was going in that with guns a blazing and Caleb knew he had to win him over. Caleb did stand up for himself which did earn him some brownie points but having his former father in law step in on his behalf didn't hurt. In the end both men had the tables turned on them when Caleb saw Starr and Sandi reminded Davis that he once tried to pick her up.

      Delete
  7. Haha! So Davis is a little player himself xD

    Okay I wouldn't neccessarily agree with Wolfie that Caleb treated his first wife like a queen... working too many hours and neglecting her due to that sounds like the opposite. But Caleb learned, and will do it better this time. He seems to be a honest and good man, after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Davis was a player but now he is a family man with 3 daughters.

      On Caleb being the perfect husband you have a point however at this point Wolfie is trying to get his future father in law to like him. Davis was accusing Caleb of being the cheater when it was actually Valerie who not only cheated but became pregnant with another man's baby. Caleb even owned up to his mistakes and Valerie lets just say she has issues.

      Delete
    2. People can change so much c:

      I understood that Wolfie tries to make Davis like Caleb. It is really sweet of him.
      But I think Caleb would manage to do that by himself, after all he really seems to love Hope.

      Delete
    3. Caleb did manage all by himself and he really is in love with Hope. Someone just needed to make him go out and find his soul mate which he did.

      Wolfie is just smoothing things over especially since he has a long friendship with Davis.

      Delete
  8. I'm so happy Caleb found love. I wasn't sure how things would work out with Valerie and I'm glad Caleb is still on good terms with his former father-in-law. This is a lovely setting for a wedding. And ha! Davis. It's great to see him again. Wow... that's pretty funny that he showed up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caleb and Valerie's marriage was a huge mistake which every one knows now. I had a bachelor challenge for him and the author of Davis' story sent me one of Davis' daughters who won the challenge. The two families are now connected in more ways than one so we will be seeing a lot more of Davis in the future

      Delete