Friday, August 1, 2014

Chapter 35-University Days

This chapter was originally posted on 6/14/14


Sandi picked up the phone and started to dial the number.  She wasn't afraid to tell her father that she would be living with two men for the next four years.   She really was not afraid to tell her father anything, she just didn't want to hear his reaction to this.  Her father wouldn't really like this arrangement and it might be easier to leave him in the dark, but he was paying all the bills and he had the right to know.


Sandi: Hi Daddy.  I have something to tell you and I hope you are sitting down.


After hearing a panic attack from her father she decided to answer all his questions and then tell him.

Sandi: No I'm not pregnant, I didn't fail any classes, I'm not pregnant, Brandon has not been around and for the last time I'm not pregnant.

I do have a couple of roommates.

Names?  You want their names?


Sandi: Ummmmm Dylan and Caleb.

Calm down Dad, I'm an adult now

I know I'll always be your kiddo.

Daddy I told you I wasn't pregnant and we are being safe.


Sandi: Of course we are studying.  All three of us are serious students.
That is what we are here for.  Isn't that what you did when you were here?

What do you mean nevermind about what you did over here?


Sandi: Ok Daddy it’s time to relax.  I love Dylan but I want a career first before a family.  I take my career and my part in the mission to save the universe seriously.  Both Dylan and Caleb are having trouble affording their education and I have all this room, it would be a shame to let it go to waste. Besides with Brandon still out there wouldn't it be better if I had two roommates than living alone?

Thank you Daddy for understanding.  I love you Daddy.


Sandi hung up the phone thinking that conversation went better than she expected.  At least Brandon was good for something after all, if it wasn't for him she wouldn't have a reason for this living arrangement that her father couldn't argue with.  


She decided to go back to training martial arts when Caleb came to talk to her.  He stood there and watched her train in Sim Fu in amazement.  He always wanted to learn but he could never afford to pay for the lessons.  He knew this skill would help him tremendously when he joined the force and he was making it a priority to learn someday.


Any skill that would help him advance in law enforcement was a must to learn.  Joining the police force was all he ever dreamed of and it was his whole life.  As a child his mother abandoned him in a mall promising him that she would return, but she never did.  He was scared and all alone until a kindly police officer, Officer Wilcox found him.  As they waited in the station house for the social workers to pick Caleb up, Officer Wilcox and Caleb got to know each other and he promised Caleb that he would always be there for him.  The officer visited him at the group home almost every day and he talked about his job, keeping the city safe and bringing the bad guys to justice.  Caleb wanted to be just like him and all the other police officers who seemed like heroes to him.  

One day the visits just stopped and it took months for Caleb to find out that Officer Wilcox was killed in the line of duty, caught up in the middle of a mob war between the Palermo and Alto families. That day he made a promise to himself that someday he would join the force and continue the work of his hero and bring those mobsters responsible for Officer Wilcox's death to justice.


Caleb: Sandi may I have a word with you?


Caleb: I just wanted to thank you and I have a little peace offering for you.  I know we have not got along very well but maybe we can start fresh and change that.

Sandi:  Oh this was so sweet of you and totally unnecessary.  Of course we can start over, we are going to be spending a lot of time together and it would be beneficial to both of us to be friends.


Caleb: I hope you do not mind but I was watching you while you were training and your moves are awesome.  Someday I am going to learn how to do that myself.


Sandi: Well there is no time like the present, why not learn now.

Caleb: I can't afford to go to China now, but I will when I start working.

Sandi: Who said anything about going to China?  I'll teach you and I promise not to charge for the lessons.  Just one friend helping another.


Caleb: You would actually do that for me?


Sandi: Of course I would, it’s what friends do for each other and I expect you to have my back when we are working.


Sandi: Get your butt over here and show me what you can do! 


Sandi: Oh come on you girly man, my grandmother can do better than that!


Caleb was no girly man and he was a natural.  He picked up the skill faster than either one of them expected.  After this day both of them had a new respect for each other.


While Sandi and Caleb were alike in many ways, Dylan was the odd man out.  He was all about science and he could spend hours or even days working on experiments at his chemistry table.


Holly and Emmett sent a science research station over as a gift, but only Dylan took full advantage of the gift.  Clean water was necessary for all life to thrive but sadly the rivers were being polluted by Alto industries dumping toxic waste into the water.  Water purifiers were common place in the homes and Dylan hoped to find a way to purify the water on a larger scale. It would take a lot of work and research but he was willing to put the time in.


He meant to practice his magic, but science was more magical to him than spells and incantations.


No matter how busy Dylan was he always made time to look at the stars with his angel.


He would talk to her about the stars, constellations, the moon and the planets each and every night. This was their time together.


Everytime he kissed his angel he knew he finally found a home.  He never had a home and no one knew who his real parents were.  As a baby he was found inside of a church as the priest walked into the chapel before services.  Being adopted as a baby was easy but not if they sensed something different about you and everyone could tell that he was a warlock.  Obviously a powerful warlock as his powers were strong even as a toddler.  He was basically on his own until another outcast was brought into the same group home and that was Caleb. The two did everything together and were brothers by choice way before Paula adopted them and moved them to Moonlight Falls. Now that Paula passed away the only family Dylan had was Caleb and his angel.


Everytime he looked into her eyes, he could see that they were written in the stars and destined to be together forever.  His plans for after graduation included converting an apple into the biggest and most beautiful diamond and have it set into a ring for her.  He planned to ask her to marry him as soon as he was able.


The next four years were spent going to classes 


And studying all the time.


Before they knew it Graduation Day was here.  Obviously no one told Sandi and Caleb they need to wear graduation gowns.


Or maybe it was because of the hail storm.


Well Dylan dressed for the occasion.  Sandi's parents were supposed to be there and Dylan was looking to speak to Wolfie, but he couldn't find him anywhere.  He made a mental note to speak to him when they arrived back in Moonlight Falls.


Which is exactly what he did, he called Wolfie and asked him to meet him for dinner.


Dylan: Mr. Landgraab you might be wondering why I asked you here today, I need to talk to you about Sandi.  I'm sort of an old fashioned guy and before I talked with your daughter, I wanted to inform you of my intentions and hopefully have your blessing.  I love your daughter with all my heart and I want to spend the rest of my life with her.  I may not be able to provide her with the type of environment that she grew up in but I will promise to always treat her with respect and fill her days with love.  I would like to ask for her to marry me and I'm asking for your permission.


Wolfie: You won't understand my next statement until you have a daughter of your own but I still believe there is no man born good enough for either of my daughters, but if anyone comes close to good enough it is you.  If Sandi is in agreement and she wants to marry you, I will welcome you into the family with open arms.


Dylan: Thank you so much Mr. Landgraab.  I promise I will make your daughter happy and it would be an honor to be a part of your family.

Wolfie: I know you will and don't be so formal with me, my name is Wolfie.

Little did either one of them realized someone was listening into their conversation at the other table.


Brandon: Oh no Warlock you may have his permission but you don't have mine.  Sandi is my girl and you will die first before I allow that wedding to take place.

To be continued...... 

8 comments:

  1. Oh my word, they really should have gotten Brandon help when he was kid..Holly was right about him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh* Brandon is there. Of course Brandon is there. When is he not there? LOL.
    Awww Caleb and Dylan's stories are so sad, both of them being left by people. I'm glad Sandi is in both of their lives, she is a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The start of Caleb and Dylan's lives were sad but they are in a better place now thanks to Sandi being in their life.

      Yes Brandon is always there and sadly he still has his violent plans.

      Delete
  3. Poor officer Wilcox.
    Something tells me Sandi will have to seek confort in Caleb's arms before this is over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh snap! Brandon give it up... creep! I do like Caleb though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandon has quite a few issues so he isn't ready to give up yet. Caleb is a fan favorite :)

      Delete